This program is through the Texas Health and Human Services (HHS) and Public Utility Commission (PUC).
STAP provides a way to communicate by phone to individuals who have either:
- Speech Impairment, or
- Hearing Impairment, or
- Vision Impairment.
Individuals with any of these can apply using the instructions at STAPtx.com/pages/apply.
- This might be a phone or tablet for an individual with hearing lost to communicate by text.
- This might be a phone or a tablet for an individual who is blind to communicate with the phone by speech instead of touch.
- This might be an amplified phone for someone who has hearing loss.
Individuals with a speech impairment + an upper mobility impairment or cognitive impairment can apply using the instructions at STAPtx.com/pages/applysgd for both a device + an app that provides symbols for communication – together called a Speech Generating Device.
- This may be a specialized item such as a Tobii Dynavox dedicated tablet.
- This may be a standard item such as an iPad, with specialized software for speech-generation.
More info available at STAPTX.com