Before you worry about anything else, get on the Interest Lists for the Medicaid Waivers. Don’t worry about understanding them, or if you/your family member will qualify – until you get in line!
Then you will have 3-10 years to learn… depending on each waiver.
You DO NOT need medical or diagnostic info to get on Interest lists. Just name, address, phone, birthday, & social security number.
1. Call HHSC Interest List – 1-877-438-5658:
- Ask to get on the CLASS interest list
- Ask to get on the MDCP interest list
- If in immediate urgent need (no time for a waiting list), read about Rider 28 to learn how to skip the waiting list
- Ask to get on the Deaf-Blind Multiple Disabilities interest list (if applicable)
2. Call the Local Intellectual and Developmental Disability Authority for your county:
- Ask to get on the HCS interest list
- If in crisis, ask about IDD Crisis and Stabilization.
- If in immediate urgent need (no time for a waiting list), ask about Texas Home Living
4. If you are over 21 years old, call your Star+Plus Managed Care Organization:
- Ask to be evaluated for Long-Term Care Services through the Star+Plus Waiver